Alright, I decided it was time for me to add my post about the best anime of 2010. I dunno what to really write, so I'll get right to it.

First just gonna throw in this disclaimer atv and onion used. -The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Atv-Oni-Ota.-

So you have an idea of what I'm selecting my favorite from, I'll post what titles from this year I've watched:

Angel Beats, Attraction (an interactive video/website by Studio 4°C/Koji Morimoto), Baka to Test, Black Rock Shooter, Boku Otaryman, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Darker than Black OVA, Durarara (first 12 episodes), Hanamaru Kindergarten, Highschool of the Dead, Honey Tokyo, House of Five Leaves, Je T`aime (a music video directed by Mamoru Oshii), Katanagatari (first 3 episodes), Kurenai OVA, Ladies versus Butlers, Lupin: The Last Job, Madobe Nanami (I wasn't gonna put this, but AniDB and MAL both count it as an OVA :\), Magic Kaito, Omamori Himari, Ookami Kakushi, Shoka, Sleeping with Hinako, Sora no Woto, Tatami Galaxy, Time of Eve movie, Unlimited Blade Works, and Welcome to the Space Show.

So, out of these titles I've chosen my top pick for 2010. It wasn't a very hard pick, and I'm actually having more trouble deciding on some runner-ups xD.



The Winner is -


The Tatami Galaxy
(Youjohan Shinwa Taikei)



Without a doubt, I thoroughly enjoyed Tatami Galaxy more than any other show. It honestly transcends its existence as a late night anime in Japan. It's not just another show, one which happened to avoid tired tropes and old cliches, no, it's solid entertainment, and true art.

The style is way unconventional, hardly resembling the expected "anime" visual. And that may have turned many people off. However, I loved that aspect about the show. But it's not just the visual style's "difference" that made me choose Tatami Galaxy. It's just an all-around good watch, with an excellent and fulfilling conclusion. It uses the old narrative of reliving your life/specific times indefinitely, but it approaches it in a new and inventive way. It's really intelligent and the whole series sets out to make a statement, which is pretty much unheard of these days.

Some people couldn't get into the visuals, others thought the heavy dialogue was too hard to navigate. I'm not a writer, I'm not a critic or reviewer, it's been 5 months since I watched the series. But I got so much enjoyment out of it, I definitely recommend it to everyone, and without hesitation rank it as the best title of 2010. (eh, I'm just a Yuasa fanboy m(_ _)m)


Now time to post some Runner Ups:


Shoka

For a singular half-hour OVA, there isn't much there to judge it by. But the 30 minutes that are there are pretty sick. The story isn't anything to talk about, but thats okay cause this OVA was all about the visual style. The animation all has this overly-sketchy, grotesque roughness to it. It's really awesome. It was kinda like Windy Tales or Kemonozume, only more rough. Which I think is awesome, because those are some of my favorite titles for their visuals. So yeah, even though the story is sub-par, it's only 30 minutes so what more do you expect? Plus it's a period piece, so the setting is cool. All in all a quick, easy and entertaining watch.

Angel Beats

Guess I'll throw this one in as a runner up. It was sweet, much better than I was expecting it to be. It was really crafted as an emotional roller-coaster, which I'm not so sure I liked. It seemed like one minute I was supposed to be laughing, but then the next I was supposed to feel sad for a character, so I ended up just not really doing anything either way. Now, thats not to say I didn't laugh at all, oh I definitely found parts funny, and I definitely found parts dramatic or felt for the characters. But overall it took some getting used to and caught me off guard. I spent more time thinking "is this a set up to a joke for me to laugh at, or is it building a dramatic scene?" rather than me being in-the-moment of the show. Also, Tachibana is the biggest moeblob I've seen lately, which was awesome. I had forgotten how awesome moeblobs are.

Sora no Woto was good, Welcome to the Space Show was good, Ladies vs Butlers was good, Time of Eve movie was good but it was basically just the ONA. Not much else was really that noteworthy. The Studio 4C stuff, Honey Tokyo and Attraction, were both interesting, but not the studios best work.

Worst title -

Sleeping with Hinako

Was that that big of a surprise? I'm not sure why I watched this, but I did. 40 minutes of a chick occasionally rolling over while she sleeps in her bed. No one, ever, watch this. I don't care how into fanservice you are, it';s not worth it. Just go watch a hentai or something, seriously. It's not even worth watching ironically with friends or anything. I mean, maybe the first like 4-5 minutes would be funny, but definitely not the whole thing.

Omamori Himari

I didn't think this was that bad for the first couple of episodes. But by like the 3rd or 4th I couldn't stand watching it. But I kept on watching, I don't know why. I don't know why I expected anything different to happen in the series after what I had seen in the first 3 or 4 episodes, but for some reason I thought "maybe it'll get better," but it only got worse. Even as far as harems go, there are many better titles than this. And definitely don't bother if you're in it for the fanservice, because that's pretty minimal here.

(yay, no Shaft in the worst list orz)

There are still a ton of titles I'm looking forward to from 2010 though. Here's a quick list of what else I wanna watch:

Midori-Ko, Redline (2009, but I still wanna watch it. plus it hasn't seen it's commercial dvd release yet, afaik), Trigun movie, Colorful (2010), Umi Kara no Shisha, Mardock Scramble, Hen Zemi, Iron Vendetta (this isn't even out yet. probably gonna be a 2011 title), Kuragehime, Occult Academy, Amagami SS, Shiki, K-ON!!, Giant Killing, Rainbow, Working, Ironman, The World God Only Knows, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, and My Little Sister can't be this cute.

Maybe out of this list I could find something that I'd place above Tatami Galaxy? Dobut it, but it's totally possible. I look forward to viewing these titles someday.

Not sure I'm gonna participate in any of the other posting categories.. happy holidays people.